The Rebuilding Together Safe at Home program addresses home repair and maintenance issues that potentially present a safety risk or limit the access to or within the home.
Through the Safe at Home program, we provide older persons and persons with disabilities with:
- Fall prevention strategies that minimize the risk of falls in the home
- Accessibility modifications that address the mobility needs of the homeowner
- General home safety interventions that address issues that negatively impact the health and safety of the homeowner
The result of the Safe at Home program is homeowners who are able to live safely with dignity and independence in their own homes.
Reasons why we implement the Safe at Home program:
- More than one third of adults 65 and older fall each year in the United States (Hornbrooke et al. 1994; Hausdorff et al. 2001)
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths. they are also the most common cause of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions for trauma (DC 2006).
- In 2000, direct medical costs totaled $0.2 billion ($179 million) for fatal falls and $19 billion for nonfatal fall injuries (Stevens et al. 2006).
What Rebuilding Together Pitt County Safe at Home Program Offers:
- Bathroom Accessibility Modifications:
- Grab bars
- Toilet seat raisers
- Hand held shower head
- Shower stool
- non slip shower mats
- Lever door handles
- Securing railings
- Smoke detector
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Fire Extinguisher
If you are interested in this program please call us at 252-814-0600. We will conduct an over the phone interview to assemble a kit to best assist your needs.