RTPC Homeowner Application

It is important to fill out the documents completely and with accurate data. When turning in the Rebuilding Together Application, provide all required documentation and any additional expenses.

Additional Resources


NC 211 – Link:

To access our information and referral line, Dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162. The first step in finding help is knowing who to call. 9-1-1 is for emergencies, 4-1-1 is for directory assistance and 2-1-1 is for finding community health and human service resources. A call to NC 2-1-1 is free, confidential, available all day, everyday and in any language.

CDBG Scattered Site Housing – Link:

CDBG Scattered Site Housing is state administered by the NC Department of Commerce/Division of Community Assistance and intended for persons living in small cities and other areas not covered below. Every three years, county governments are eligible to apply for a grant of $400,000. Funds can be targeted to low-income homeowners to address critical housing rehab needs including certain manufactured homes built after 1978. Hyde County will not be eligible to apply for CDBG-Scattered Site Housing until after 2015.

CDBG Entitlement Communities – Link:

CDBG Entitlement Communities is an annual HUD administered grant. Entitlement community grantees apply for funding to provide decent housing and a suitable living environment for entitlement areas of NC including low/ moderate income homeowners in: Asheville, Burlington, Cary, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Concord, Durham, Fayetteville, Gastonia, Goldsboro, Greensboro, Greenville, Hickory, High Point, Jacksonville, Kannapolis, Lenoir, Morganton, Raleigh, Rocky Mount, Salisbury, Wilmington, and Winston-Salem and three counties: Mecklenburg, Wake and Cumberland except Holly Springs and Linden.

Displacement Prevention Partnership – Link:

The Displacement Prevention Partnership is administered by NC Division of Vocational Rehabilitation-Independent Living Program and NC Housing Finance Agency to assist persons whose home needs accessibility modifications so they can continue to live there.

Contact the Greenville Independent Living office at: 252-830-3471

NCDVR also administers the NC Assistive Technology Program (state and federally funded) which promotes devices and equipment that persons with disabilities use to make everyday living easier. All ages and all disabilities are served.

Contact the Greenville office 252-830-8575 or go online to:

HCCBG – The Federal Home and Community Care Block Grant, Housing and Home Improvement service administered by the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services through the regional Area Agency on Aging is optional per county. Services include information on housing locations, renting, home ownership, foreclosures, home modifications and minor home repair, etc. Adults age 60+ are eligible to apply. Hyde County does not fund Housing/Home Improvement.

Contact Albemarle Commission Area Agency on Aging in Hertford at: 252-426-5753 for faith based or civic groups that may assist.

North Carolina offers three property tax relief programs for the permanent residence of qualified homeowners. The deadline to submit an application is June 1 of each year. A) Elderly or Disabled Exclusion-applicants must be 65 years of age or totally and permanently disabled. B) Circuit Breaker Tax Deferment Program- 65 years of age or totally and permanently disabled and C) Disabled Veteran Exclusion. Contact your county tax office for more information:

Home equity and home improvement loans are available from banks and mortgage lenders. These loans enable homeowners to borrow against the equity in their homes and generally require loan payments to be made on a monthly basis. Reverse Mortgage is another option to finance home improvement for homeowners 62 years of age and older. A portion of the home equity can be converted into tax-free cash that can be used for any purpose without requiring monthly payments. When the borrower permanently moves out of the home, the loan becomes due. NC requires face to face counseling prior to making application.

Contact River City Community Development at: 252-331-2925


USDA – The United States Department of Agriculture has a Home Repair Loan and Grant Program – Section 504. Very low income homeowners of any age can apply for a loan, must be 62+ for a grant, living in rural areas needing assistance with repairs and improvements (includes ramp construction) which will make their home/mobile home safer and more sanitary or assistance with the removal of health/safety hazards Call the Greenville Area Office at: 252-752-2035

The Weatherization Assistance Program and the Heating and Air Repair and Replacement Program


The Weatherization Assistance Program and the Heating and Air Repair and Replacement Program, administered through the Division of Energy, Minerals and Land Resources in the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources helps low-income, energy burdened homeowners and renters in North Carolina improve energy efficiency and maintain warmth in winter and cool comfort in summer. Priority is given to people 60 +, adults with disabilities and families with children.

Contact:  Economic Improvement Council 252-482-4459

SSBG – The Social Services Block Grant funding for Housing and Home Improvement is optional per county. Funds may include assistance with: home modifications, minor home renovations or services related to health and safety issues in the home. LIEAP – The Low Income Energy Assistance Program – provides a one-time vendor payment to help eligible households pay heating bills. CIP – The Crisis Intervention Program – funds heating or cooling related crises. Priority is given to people 60 +, adults with disabilities and low income families. (

SA/IH – The State/County Special Assistance In-Home Program for Adults provides a cash supplement to help low-income individuals remain at home as an alternative to placement in an adult care home. A service assessment would determine whether an applicant/recipient could remain safely at home, and what support services and additional income would be needed to assure the applicant’s needs are met. Each county has an assigned number of slots.

The CAP-DA home modifications and mobility aids program can purchase equipment, do physical adaptations or minor renovations to enhance a person’s mobility, safety, and independence in the home. Recipient must be 18 or older, Medicaid eligible and be approved for skilled or intermediate nursing care.

Contact the Hyde County DSS 252-926-4199 or review:

The Urgent Repair Program is administered by the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency. Funds must be used exclusively to provide repairs and modifications to alleviate housing conditions which pose an imminent threat to the life or safety of individuals living in the home, or to allow those elderly/disabled persons to remain in their own home independent of institutional confinement. Very low income, owner occupied households who are either/or age 60+, who are disabled, who are single parent households or who live in households of 5 or more may make application to the local Urgent Repair Program Grantee (not available in every county).

NC Housing Finance Agency 919-877-5700 can be contacted for the local Grantee name & number or review Link:

The Single-Family Rehabilitation Program serves all areas of NC except entitlement cities (see 1 b.) and Wake, Mecklenburg and Cumberland Counties. Using Federal HOME funds, the program provides between $170,000 and $400,000 on a rotation basis, 32-33 counties every 3 years, to local governments, non-profits and regional councils. Single family, owner-occupied, moderately deteriorated homes are eligible for comprehensive rehab whose household income is at or below 80% of AMI. Households must have a full-time member who is 62 years of age or older or disabled.

Contact NC Housing Finance Agency for more information at: 919-877-5626 Link:

The Veterans Administration has a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations program which helps pay for home improvements necessary to provide disability access to/in the home. Veterans who have a disability rating of 50% or more or who are being treated for a service-connected disability may make application at the local VA medical center. Link:

The Housing Resource Guide is a good source for additional agencies. Link:


QUESTIONS? Call Us! 252-814-0600